Recipe: 1996 Honorable Mention Kourambiethes (Almond Shortbread)
Categories: Cookies, Holiday, Greek
Yield: 4 Dozen
1/2 c Blanched almonds
1 lb Unsalted butter; softened
1 lb Confectioners' sugar
2 Egg yolks
3 tb Cognac
1 ts Vanilla extract
3 c Cake flour
1/2 ts Baking powder
Bess Gallanis Hayes of Winnetka, Illinois won an honorable mention in
the 1996 Chicago Tribune Annual Holiday Cookie Contest with these Greek
almond shortbread cookies.
- Heat oven to 350'F. Spread almonds in single layer on baking sheet.
Bake, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes.
Remove from oven; cool, then chop coarsely.
- Beat butter in large bowl of electric mixer on medium-high speed
until very light and fluffy, 5 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons of the
confectioners' sugar; continue beating 3 minutes.
- Add egg yolks, Cognac and vanilla; beat until smooth. Beat in
almonds, flour and baking powder until mixed well. (If dough is too soft
to handle, add additional flour.)
- Shape scant tablespoons full of dough between palms into round balls
or crescents. Bake on ungreased baking sheets until set and very pale
golden in color; 15 minutes. Remove cookies to cooling rack.
- Place remaining confectioners' sugar into sifter. While cookies are
still hot, sift confectioners' sugar over tops. Repeat twice at
Source: Chicago Tribune, December 4, 1996 Posted to MM-Recipes Digest V3
From: Linda Place <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:11:46 +0000
Jesus rights wrongs
Comments On This Page:|
None yet posted - you can be the first!
Post Your Comment:|
(All fields except email are required)
[ Comment Policy ]